Wednesday 25 January 2012

Back to the Drawing Board Part 2



Eyes On The Prize
(Indian Ink on A3 Bristol Board)

Its been a while since I've done any line work in ink so I thought I'd try out a new composition I've been playing with based on board track racing. The idea was to get a dynamic view on a steep board track, with elements of story telling using the interaction between the riders.

Some American tracks had almost wall of death type inclines on circular tracks.

St Louis Board Track
Sept. 6, 1914, by St. Louis photographer A. F. Eike
Newark Board Track



The early part of my week was spent playing about with the mono print process and combining the prints with loose ink sketches. I like the way that the mono print technique abstracts the image producing textures that wouldn't normally be made with brushes or pens.

Board track Racer 1
(A5 Monoprint on Ink Sketch)

Board track Racer 2
(A5 Monoprint on Ink Sketch)
Board track Racer 3
(A5 Monoprint on Ink Sketch)

4 comments:

  1. Love the ink drawing - those tracks are just crazy. Must give monoprinting a go too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drawings are always so beautiful, I like especially the last.
    I plan to come to the exhibition are you doing with Jean Marie Guivarc'h

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work on the track racers. I saw these over at the H.A.M.B. and had to come check out more of your work.

    Oddly enough, my old man used to be a track racer (as well as 3 day races). He had some scary tales about those tracks. I've still got his Schwinn Paramount (wooden rims & all). I used to ride that thing all over San Francisco when I was growing up...single gear, pedal arm fixed to sprocket. I even took it out on a track once. Scary as all get out being horizontal at speed. We added a coaster brake and took the foot restraints off so I could get around on it.

    Thanks for making me remember my Dad.

    'Sage'

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Sage) Have you got any pictures of this bike you are talking about? I'd love to see them, if possible could you email me:
    mrtnsquires@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete